Sunday, November 8, 2009

A is for Abraham van Helsing ...

... and Mina Harker, Jonathan Harker, Jack Seward, and the host of other meddling do-gooders out to thwart Dracula. But in Dracula The Un Dead, Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt have a little surprise for the crew of vampire hunters. (Below this there might be spoilers, read with caution).


It isn't hard to imagine that Dracula actually did not perish with Quincey P. Morris's mighty thrust with a stake, and it isn't hard to imagine that Dracula is not really the evil being they had at first thought him to be. I blame Abraham van Helsing, and was terribly glad to see old Abe got his just desserts. What I did not like, however, was poor Jonathan Harker's pathetic future (he did not deserve it, Mr. Stoker) and how unlikable Mina had become.


I must blame the authors for Mina's lack of character. A good chunk of male writers cannot grasp the true depth of a woman's soul and will leave the female rather flat and one dimensional. Not all, of course, but some. And I feel that it is Mr. Stoker's inexperience that has brought this upon poor Mrs. Harker. This also holds true for the completely villainous Countess Bathory. The male characters, I felt, were more fully developed, even the mysterious Basarab (who actually wasn't that much of a mystery).


I was entertained by the novel; in fact, I found certain parts of it well written and comical (in a good way). Admittedly, Mr. Stoker and Mr. Holt have left it open for a sequel, and I will say that I shall be at Barnes and Noble on its release date to purchase it if they in fact write one. Hopefully by then they will be able to improve upon the dear Mrs. Harker.

No comments:

Post a Comment